900 W 59th Avenue
Stanley Park, Vancouver’s oldest and largest park, is a magnificent green oasis in the midst of the heavily built urban landscape. Comprising forested and recreational land, the park is surrounded by English Bay, First Narrows, and Burrard Inlet on three sides, and bordered on the fourth by a central business district and residential neighbourhood.
The natural West Coast rainforest with 243 hectares of forest and 162 hectares of designed landscapes offers spectacular views of English Bay, the North Shore Mountains and cedar, hemlock and fir trees.
Stanley Park is surrounded by an 8.8-kilometre seawall. There are many recreational areas including beaches, swimming pool, playground, children’s water park, playing fields, outdoor tennis courts, pitch and putt and lawn bowling green. The park also has trails, gardens, beaches, wildlife, as well as natural, cultural and historical landmarks. Additional attractions include an aquarium, miniature train, classic restaurants and two bodies of water—Beaver Lake and Lost Lagoon.
The park is home to several heritage buildings including the Stanley Park Pavilion, the Fish House Restaurant, Rose Garden Cottage, and the Vancouver Rowing Club.
Originally home to Burrard, Musqueam and Squamish First Nations people, Stanley Park served as a British military reserve before being designated a park. Vancouver's first official green space opened September 27, 1888 and is named after Lord Frederick Stanley, the then Governor General of Canada. The park was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1988 and celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2013.