Founded in 1892, RVYC is the oldest yacht club in British Columbia. Over the past one hundred and twenty years, RVYC has made significant contributions to the sailing, seafaring, and cruising communities of the Pacific Northwest and Canada. RVYC encourages boating through membership, learn to sail programs, school programs, a school sailing league and our sailing team programs. We are a member club that has activities open to the public and our members.
RVYC offers a variety of services including:
1. Learn to sail programs
2. Middle and senior school programs
3. Lower Vancouver Island Youth School Sailing League
4. Adult learn to sail
5. Adult Intro to Keelboating
6. Sailing teams for athletes 7+
7. Active keelboat race series
8. Crewing opportunities
Adventurous, inclusive and quality programs for the community. We value sportsmanship, excellence and sailing for life.
Learn to sail programs are offered for adults and children in a fun, safe, and positive learning environment. We offer CANSail courses for kids as young as 4 years old, with our Optimist Wet Feet program, and those young at heart, with our Adult Learn to Sail programs including our Salty Sisters for ladies 18+. Our courses introduce basic sailing and racing skills, develop existing skills, provides advanced training, and improve confidence, all while having fun and enjoying the beautiful Cadboro Bay and Oak Bay. The Instructional Sailing program is available to both members and the public.
Our sailing staff are all certified Sail Canada instructors with extensive on water rescue and first aid training to ensure a safe and positive learning and training environment. All participate actively in the sport of sailing and include local and elite athletes.
1. RVYC Sailing Program was the 2011 and 2012 Sailing Program of the Year as recognized by Sail Canada. We received the Bill Abbott Sr. Trophy for our excellence in providing instructional and racing programs.
2. RVYC was instrumental in the creation and adaptation of the new Sail Canada Program.
3. Athletes from the RVYC have represented Canada in either an Olympic or Paralympic games for the last 60 years. This includes three participants at the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
4. In 2008 our Head Coach was honoured as the Coach of the Year by Sail Canada; and in 2016 he received the Petro Canada Coaching Excellence Award.