Welcome to Victoria’s Sprint Canoe Kayak club located on the Gorge waterway. We teach your children safe, active and fun paddling. Chinook has the only certified Comp Dev paddling coach in Victoria, which means our paddlers can also choose competitive programming, towards national, international and Olympic competition.
Our coaches are certified through Canada’s National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) in CanoeKids Community, Entry Level Competitive (ELCC), and advanced Competitive Development coaching; with criminal record checks, first aid training and safety boat operator licenses. Our Development Coach has been the Head Paddling Coach for Zone 6 (Vancouver Island) at the last two BC Summer Games.
- affordably introduce our paddle sport to children and youth in the community
- provide fun opportunities for increased physical literacy and activities out in nature and on water
- progressive programming and knowledgeable coaching towards skill enhancement
- level-appropriate coaching from recreational to high performance
Chinook Board & Members
We are a members-run club. Our Board is comprised of community parents who volunteer to lead our club. Our performance paddlers include medalists and champions, Team BC, Canada Games, Jr/Sr National Development Team and Jr Worlds athletes.
- effective informed leadership and knowledgeable coaching
- the principles of Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L)
- the principles of True Sport, mentorship, esprit de corps and volunteerism
- safety and respect for individuals, equipment, and in our communication
- a club culture of integrity and best practices
- camaraderie and a sense of belonging
Chinook provides level-appropriate coaching, sprint canoes, sprint kayaks and paddles, multiple paddling disciplines (outrigger, dragon boat, SUP), safety boats and equipment, PFDs, dock facilities, public washrooms, waterfront gym access, and private boat storage when available. Our spring/summer intake is April 1st while fall/winter cross-training and weights for advanced programs begins October 1st of each year.