Creating Paddlers for Life - Our vision is that every young person can experience the benefits of a lifetime involvement in paddling.
The Victoria Youth Paddling Club is a registered non-profit society dedicated to developing, promoting, and running programs leading to fun, fitness, skill development, and competition in kayaking and canoeing. The Club’s operations are supported by a facility and equipment partnership with the Ocean River Paddling Club.
We offer a safe, affordable and fun water sports club for youth ages 9 and up. On-water activities are led by qualified coaches and are held on the Gorge Waterway. We run a year round program with two sessions: Spring/Summer (April through September) and Fall/Winter (October through March).
We offer paddling from recreational to competitive levels for kids aged 9 and up. The paddling disciplines available are Outrigger Canoe, Sprint Kayak, High-kneel Canoe and Dragon Boat. All members of the club will be on the water at least twice a week and participate in paddling events locally and on the mainland.
Our Practices are led by coaches who are:
- Experienced working with children and youth
- NCCP and ELCC trained through Canoe Kayak Canada
- Current or former high performance athletes
- Certified to operate the safety motorboat
- Trained in basic first aid
- Screened by a criminal record check
All club activities are governed by the Canoe Kayak Canada Code of Safety.
The Code has many topics including:
- Paddling during daylight hours only
- Participant swimming competence
- Wearing of personal flotation devices (PFDs)
- Safety boat usage during cold water training
- Site safety awareness and emergency action planning
- Recommended training for coaches and staff
- Cessation of activities due to unsafe weather conditions