A family friendly music school for students of all ages. South Island Studio teachers are light-hearted and compassionate, and take the time to find music that each student will enjoy learning. We care about the learning process as much as the results, giving every person opportunities to perform, to meet other students, and to explore the many possibilities in learning to play or sing. With tangible ways to incorporate music into their lives, it becomes an enjoyable life skill that nurtures self-expression and happiness.
Started in 2001, by guitar instructor Lonny Koch, the studio has grown organically to now include numerous instruments and teachers in both private and group lessons.
- Lessons in guitar
- Bass guitar
- Upright bass
- Goddess Sings: Women's singing group. All ages.
- Rockshop Band Camp: age 10 - 17
- Rockshop Summer Band Camp: age 10 - 17
- Keyboard Kingdom! A children's group piano lesson, for ages 4 - 7
We also host Songwriting Workshops, Guitar Workshops, Guitar Improvisation classes, Drum kit dynamics, School band/Jazz band prep for drums, guitar, upright bass and electric bass guitar.
- We're beginner music specialists.
- We find students on the autistic spectrum do very well with us.
- We host a minimum of three student concerts each season. These are voluntary performance opportunities for students to perform either solo, with another student, with their teacher, or in one of our group programs
Connection to Community
Our concerts support local groups like Victoria Women's Transition House, YM-YWCA, Victoria Youth Centre, AIDS Vancouver Island and The Sanctuary Youth Drop-In Centre with funding or supplies to support music programs for youth.