Launched in 1909, the parade has been a Winnipeg tradition for more than a century. In 1905, Eaton’s Department Store launched the first parade in Toronto and in 1909, the second and third parades were launched in and Winnipeg and Montreal, both booming cities on the rise. Winnipeg’s parade is now the second largest parade in Canada and the largest nighttime parade in the country. More than 3,000 Manitobans participate in the parade itself and the event brings more than 60,000 people to Winnipeg’s downtown annually.
Parade route: Begins at Portage Avenue and Young Street, and heads east down Portage Avenue to the intersection of Portage and Main. It turns south on Main Street and continues until William Stephenson Way. The parade ends at Westbrook Street.
There's awesome pre-parade events too!
From 2pm-4pm will be games and photos with Santa at Cityplace (aka Santa's workshop). And a special performance by Camerata Nova featuring holiday classics from 2:30-3:30 at the Manitoba Hydro Building.
Starting at 4pm is a variety of block parties with activities for the entire family. These are at:
1. Portage Avenue from Spence to Balmoral: Geared towards kids, this block party is sponsored by JCI Winnipeg for old-fashioned street hockey!
2. Vaughan to Kennedy: Get your face painted, play games, warm up with hot chocolate, and listen to some holiday favourites performed by the Hates Off Barbershop Quartet at the Great-West Life Sponsored party.
3. Edmonton to Carlton: Manitoba Hydro invites you to play giant board games, crafts, and write your letter to Santa.
4. Carlton to Hargrave: Harry Potter fans should attend this section, you can play quidditch! There's lots of other magical additions too.
5. Donald to Smith: Enjoy colouring, games, hot chocolate, candy canes, and meeting Santa or the mascot Splasher, sponsored by Canad Inns.
6. Garry to Fort: Geared towards littler kids 2-10 is a variety of winter-themed activities sponsored by Sport Manitoba and Fit Kids Healthy Kids. There will be snowball throwing, tree bowling, reindeer ring toss, and more.
7. Portage & Main: A massive dance party with hot tunes from Energy 106 and Hot 100.5, and free pizza from Little Pizza Heaven.
393 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3B 3H6 See Map
This event was tagged in:Events Festivals Academics Writing Arts & Crafts Crafts Painting Sports Bowling Fitness Hockey Wellness Christmas
|Visit Event Website|