Sun, 12pm - 2:30pm
Across the nation, we continue to see strained relationships between law enforcement and the gender and sexually diverse (GSD) community. While in many of these communities, relationships and conversations have been adversarial, Calgary is taking a leadership role by ensuring that the conversation here continues to be collaborative.
Calgary Pride and Calgary Police Service will be hosting a series of town halls in order to:
• Inform community of the conversations that have taken place between law enforcement and the process and timelines of these conversations.
• Gather community insights on law enforcements engagement with a variety of community stakeholders and community members.
• Identify ongoing and systemic challenges faced by the GSD community.
• Communicate the resources available to the community.
The town halls will have a panel of representatives from the following organizations present:
• Calgary Pride
• Voices – Calgary’s Coalition of Two-Spirit & Racialized LGBTQIA+
• Calgary Polices Service
• Calgary Police Commission
• Sexuality & Gender Diversity Chief’s Advisory Board
The format of the event will be to have each panelist present some thoughts and context on the current situation as it relates specifically to Calgary. This will then be followed by an open dialogue and opportunity for attendees to ask questions, share challenges, and propose solutions.
In order to ensure accessibility, and provide an opportunity for all members of our community to have a voice, we are providing the opportunity for individuals to submit questions and feedback prior to the town halls for those who are unable to attend, or do not feel comfortable voicing their feedback in person. The moderator will present the submissions on behalf of these individuals. Depending on the number of submissions received, there is no guarantee that all submissions will be addressed during the town halls; however, all questions will be shared with the above mentioned organizations.
Submissions will be accepted at calgarypride.ca/policetownhall
Share this event
Get the ChatterBlock App