Never underestimate the importance of teaching your little ones art. The skills they gain from art class will benefit them in other areas of their life. Research by Robert and Michael Root-Bernstein has shown that the most successful scientists were more likely than their counterparts to have been involved in the arts.
Here are some of the reasons why art needs to be a part of your child's education:
- Creating art with other students is a social activity. It encourages kids to communicate and share ideas with others.
- Art develops creativity--it allows kids to communicate their emotions, thoughts, fears, and passions without the use of words.
- It develops analytical skills.
- It teaches young kids how to sit still and focus.
- It teaches problem solving skills
- It will make your child more attentive to details.
- It builds self-esteem. Children with physical and learning challenges, who might not succeed in the academic setting, can excel at art.
- It teaches kids to be more open minded. There's no one right way to make art!
- It's a great way to expose kids to other cultural traditions
- It teaches kids the ability to reflect on work they've done, and develop ways to improve
- It instills an appreciation for cultural institutions like museums and art galleries
To find some top kids' art classes in your area, click here
Read more about the author