Whether you are looking to wow a new partner, or spice things up with your long-time lover, Vancouver has something for every couple. Being a little rusty in the dating scene myself (3 young kids), I had to outsource a little help from my friends. And here's what I learned: there's more to do on a date than watch a movie! There's nothing wrong with that option, of course - who's going to complain about a bag of buttery popcorn? - but if you are looking for something unique, take note of the ideas that came shooting at me like rapid-fire!
If you're strapped for an idea for Valentine's Day or, like me, you've added 'more date nights' to your goals for 2015, check out what my friends tell me is hot these days:
1. For the pair of Picassos: Head out to Paint Nite, a painting workshop or freestyle it at a ceramics studio! (We recently featured Create-It Emporium in Surrey, BC which offers workshops and studio time). It's fun, it's creative, it's casual. The perfect date night for two people just getting to know each other, or a couple who wants to add a little colour in their relationship.
2. For the daring duo: When was the last time you went...indoor go-karting? Imagine whipping around a track going 75 km/h just inches off the ground? If that made you sit up straighter, check out Richmond's TBC Indoor Kart Racing. Booking ahead is strongly recommended. Apparently, there are a lot of adventurous people out there!
3. For the cozy, casual couple: Take a little trip to Naples right in the heart of Vancouver. Located on Victoria Drive is Via Tevere Pizzeria Napoletana, which translates to the best Neopolitan pizza you can get around town. Don't watch this video if you are hungry, but this family-owned authentic pizzeria was featured on Food Network's You Gotta Eat Here with John Catucci, and it pretty much sums up everything you need to know about the place. You can't make reservations, but show up at 5 pm when they open, give them your cell number, and then enjoy a nice little walk until they text you. (I am sharing this article on Facebook and tagging my husband just for this one.)
4. For the romantic Romeo and Juliet: The Sequoia Company of Restaurants brings you The Teahouse in Stanley Park. With beautiful ambiance all year-round, it's truly a classic. So, dress up and head out to the prettiest park in the world. Try to time your meal with sunset - a truly spectacular time to enjoy the views. Prepare to be pampered by the long-standing staff - and save room for dessert!
5. For the ones who like a twist: Have you heard of Dark Table? A sensual dining experience, where the dining room is totally dark! When you arrive, you can order from the menu in the lighted lounge and then are led to your table by a blind or visually impaired server. From there on, your entire meal is consumed without so much as the light from your cell phone or watch! They say your other senses are heightened when one is removed. I say it's worth a shot to find out! Now that's date night with a twist!
So, go ahead and do what I'm doing: tag your partner on Facebook or tweet them this article. Let them know which one you want to try - or let them surprise you! Definitely not reserved just for Valentine's Day or the month of love...keep this list handy for any time you want to enjoy Vancouver, and the person you spend your time with.