Keeping the little one’s entertained is always a challenge, especially in the winter months! But there are actually quite a few really fun activities for kids in Regina for both local and visiting families.
Here’s a few of our top picks!
1. Visit Wascana Centre, a beautifully landscaped park surrounding a 120-hectare lake located in the heart of the City of Regina. A great place to take your family on a bike ride or picnic in the summer; birdwatch in 223 hectare thriving marshlands in the spring; or take the ferry to Willow Island for a fire-side bbq.
2. Watch a free outdoor movie under the stars! Some great kid-friendly ones we know are happening at Harbour Landing Village are:
- LEGO Batman (Jul 12)
- Inside Out (Jul 26)
- The Princess Bride (Aug 9)
- Wonder (Aug 23)
3. An awesome spot to discover Saskatchewan’s natural history and the past & present world that we live in is the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. The exhibits are well set up and easy to understand so kids of all ages can enjoy! Admission is by donation so I would encourage all families to check out this awesome Regina attraction.
4. Take a day trip to Regina Beach, arguably the nicest beach in Saskatchewan. The sandy beach has a large swimming area, beach volleyball, and lots of water activities.
5. The Fringe Theatre Festival also runs "Kid's Fringe" which is completely free.
6. The Saskatchewan Science Center is an awesome place for local and visiting families alike to play and learn with their kids. Highlights: IMAX theatre, 60 foot indoor climbing wall and family activities at 2pm daily!
7. Run in a one-of-a-kind obstacle course, the 5k Foam Fest.
8. Walk through the monuments at Victoria Park.
9. Cool off at the Kinsmen South Splash Park or one of the other 12 FREE splash parks in Regina (also a great way to explore the different neighbourhoods).
10. Get an ice cream treat at Milky Way.
11. Head to Queen City Ex for the biggest summer fair in the province! Rides and games at the midway, exhibits, tasty food, and free stages with a great line up of entertainment.
12. The Regina Folk Festival offers free daytime concerts and children's areas in Victoria Park.
13. Drive out to Happy Hollow Corn Maze to get lost in the twists and turns of the corn field, jump on the "jumping pillow", ride in the tractor-drawn wagon rides, and visit barnyard animals in the kiddie-corral.
14. Fly high in the sky at Get Air indoor trampoline park.
15. Visit the Pumpkin Festival at Blackfox Farm & Distillery.
16. Have a birthday or team party at Soaked, the impressive indoor water park at Travellodge.
17. Celebrate the start to the Christmas season at Light the Lights when the Mayor turns on all of the Christmas lights and welcomes Santa Claus! There's always hot chocolate, cookies, ice sculpting, and great entertainment.
18. Shop for a unique gift at one of the holiday craft fairs in the community.
19. Listen to carols at Knox Metropolitan United Church showcasing many choral groups.
20. Did you know that the city of Regina maintains 60 outdoor ice rinks, and they’re free! The outdoor ice season is weather dependant but usually runs from mid December to late February. A great way to get outdoors and stay active this winter in true Canadian style. More info on the locations here.
21. Try skiing at one of the many cross-country ski trails near Regina. The White Butte Trails, just outside the city (20 mins, East), are particularly great for kids as the trails are regularly groomed and well maintained! Or if downhill skiing is more your thing, zip out to Mission Ridge, located in the Qu’Appelle Valley approximately 40 minutes east of the city.
22. Experience the RCMP Heritage Centre. If you attend weekdays at 12:45pm you can watch the Sergeant Major's parade!
23. Bundle up and attend the Waskimo Festival for tons of fun family-friendly activities both indoors and out.
24. Cheer on the Regina Pats, the live hockey games are always a fun time.
25. Sit in awe at the IMAX and watch an amazing and educational show.
26. Warm up at the Royal Floral Conservatory, your tropical oasis in the winter months!
For more great Activities for Kids in Regina check out ChatterBlock’s popular events page!