You are currently viewing ChatterBlock in Charlotte NC. Change location by typing below:
This one goes out to all the parents who live for summer. We've got a sweet bucket list to fight boredom. Here are 40 awesome things you and your family must try!
Share this article
Summer is sneaking up on us. Soon the kids will be out from school, and begging to do awesome adventures. We've created a "bucket list" of sorts to keep you and your family busy and happy!
So here’s a ChatterBlock's favorite things to fill up summer. Try a few, or try them all! Some require a little bit of cash, but most of them just require a little bit of time.
1. Have a campout in your backyard
2. Try horseback riding
3. Run a lemonade or iced tea stand
4. Plant flowers, seeds or herbs. Reserve a portion of the garden exclusively for the kids.
5. Homemade pizza night: let the kids create their own individual pizzas
6. Take a boat ride or even take sailing lessons
7. Discover a new beach and make massive sandcastles!
8. Send a love letter to grandma and grandpa
#8: send a love letter to Grandma & Grandpa
9. Go on a scavenger hunt, even if it’s in the garden — hours of fun!
10. Skip stones at a river or lake
11. Fly a kite
12. Play miniature golf
13. Grab your favorite magazines and make a poster collage.
14. Switch up your hairstyle or just have a spa day at home, with hair sprays and accessories.
15. Spend time on a farm. You could even see if any farms need a helping hand in return for fresh veggies or a horse ride.
16. Spend time with grandparents
17. Collect seashells and make a collage for a friend’s summer birthday present.
18. Keep a summer journal
19. Have a pyjama day — one big sleepover day. Show your kiddies your favourite childhood movies.
20. Big clean! Have a garage sale and let the kids have their own table (and keep the profits).
21. Visit a friend who lives far away
22. Set up canvases outside and let your little one get messy trying some finger painting or splatter painting
23. Learn on a new sport or practise a current one
24. Go on a road trip, even a mini one-day road trip can be epic
25. Have lunch at work with dad
26. Bake. Make cupcakes for grandma or a loaf of bread for dinner.
27. Go to Slide the City (it's in most major cities)
28. Collect beach rocks, paint them, and put them in the new kids’ garden.
29. Sign up for a summer reading program.
30. Press flowers and make cards or framed pictures with the dried petals.
31. Learn to scooter/bike/roller blade/skate
32. Do a reallllllyy big puzzle
33. Play a new board game — have a games night once a week with the whole family!
34. Eat gelato - be brave and try a fun new flavor
35. Decorate the sidewalk or driveway with chalk, don’t forget hopscotch
36. Try a new hike or walk every week
37. Host a dinner party or try a murder mystery dinner party game
38. Write a poem to give to a relative you love or don’t see very often
39. Try out new recipes - we love making guacamole and salsa!
40. Build a fort indoors or outdoors
Robyn is the Community Manager for ChatterBlock. She loves kids, games, laughing, and most importantly blanket forts. She's an avid crossfitter, and eager to tell everyone about it. She is always seeking adventure and this often leads to impromptu road trips. Sometimes she writes funny things on twitter - check it out at @robyn_neufeld
Want to chat about something she's written? Send her an email at email@example.com.
This is a wonderful list of ideas! In addition to your list, I'd like to add that kids should sign up for a summer reading program. This keeps them learning throughout the summer. Also, if parents are traveling with their kids, then take advantage of the local hotspots and events. If there is a festival going on, go to it. Go to the small cafe that you don't have in your home town and go more to the city zoo (you have to admit--after awhile, all zoos pretty much look the same.) Fill your summer with fun and learning and it would have been eventful!
Posted by Jennifer O on Feb 3 '15, 11:59 a.m. |
| Flag as abuse
Great ideas! Kudos to the people who developed this informative site and to those who keep it updated! Can't wait to try some of these.
Posted by user_12074 on May 22 '15, 3:44 a.m. |
| Flag as abuse
This is such a great list! We just got our first snow so I'm here pining desperately for summer. Slide the city looks so fun! Its apparently coming to my city this summer so I hope I can convince my husband to go. I also like the going on a road trip suggestion. I'm the self proclaimed road trip queen and I love getting to see new places.
Posted by jamie on Jan 20 '16, 7:10 p.m. |
| Flag as abuse
What's Happening this Weekend?
Sign up for our newsletter & always be first to hear of cool local kid-friendly events.
Writing for ChatterBlock is a fun and easy way to share content with the ChatterBlock community.
Write for ChatterBlock
ChatterBlock Is the #1 Online Resource for Busy Parents
Copyright © 2011-2017 ChatterBlock Inc. All Rights Reserved.