Sweet Recipes Kids Will Love To Get Involved In.
Depending on your child's age and experience in the kitchen, here are some great recipes to awaken the creative young chef in your home, and some tips for you to stay sane while they are experimenting.
Safety is key. Before beginning try to emphasize the importance of kitchen safety to your children. Make sure they know the importance of hand-washing (especially with the scary virus right now). Make sure they know how to turn hot elements on and off, and to remind them to always use an oven mitt when placing dishes in and out of the oven.
Get them involved. Let them read directions if they are capable. Tell them what ingredients you are using and where to find them in the house or which store it can be located in. Allow kids to do some tasks themselves, even if that means the finished product may not be perfect, the responsibility being presented to them is rewarding enough.
Encourage creativity. Let your children have input into what to make, and how to do it (while following recipe). Encourage kids to decorate finished product, and add in any mix-ins they like. Name your food, create creatures... They won't be engaged and have fun unless they see that you are.
Get messy. Be prepared for messes and spills. Have paper- towel or a cloth nearby so you can avoid slips, but trust that this is all part of the chefs process.
Easy S'mores cups
Bring the campfire to you with this delicious, kid-friendly, 15 minute recipe.
You will need:
1 Tube of refrigerated pre-made chocolate chip cookie dough
3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape cookie dough into 1 inch balls and press evenly onto bottom and up sides of a well greased mini-muffin pan, forming tiny cookie dough cups.
- Bake until edges are golden, 10-12 minutes. Make an indentation in rising cups. Immediately place 3 marshmallows and 5 chocolate chips. Return to oven and bake 1 minute longer.
- Let cool and enjoy!
No Bake Chewy Oreo Bar
This three ingredient recipe that requires no hot oven is perfect for kids to participate in.
You will need:
1 Package of Oreo's
5 cups of Large Marshmallows
4 tablespoons of butter
Optional: One bar of white chocolate
- Place all the Oreos into a blender or food processor, and mix until ground.
- Microwave the butter and marshmallows in a large bowl until puffed, about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes.
- Immediately pour the ground cookies into the gooey marshmallows, and mix.
- Transfer the combination into a foil lined 8x8 baking pan, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove bars out of pan with edges of foil and cut into squares
Optional: Melt white chocolate bar in microwave until melted, stirring every 20 seconds and drizzle on top.
No Bake, No Dairy, 5 Minute Ice Cream
Ice cream is a summer necessity and with the current business restrictions in some retail sectors due to social-distancing, learning to make ice cream at home isn't as difficult as you think! This recipe is enjoyable to make, and guilt-free to eat.
You will need: (For 1 Serving)
2 Sliced and frozen bananas
2 Tablespoons natural peanut butter
3 Tablespoons raw cacao nibs
Pinch sea salt
- Place frozen banana slices in a food processor or blender and mix until it resembles a crumb like consistency.
- Add peanut butter, cacoa nibs, and sea salt, and mix until you get a soft-serve ice cream consistency.
Tip: You can pretty much add anything you'd like to this delicious frozen banana ice cream base. Try candied nuts, frozen blueberries, and any other options your kids might love.
Easy Yogurt Popsicles
This one is so easy, sometimes you forget it even exists when your kid is begging for a snack!
You will need:
1/2 Cup nonfat blended strawberry yogurt
3 1/2 tablespoons 100% fruit seedless strawberry jelly
Optional: 4 teaspoons mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt and jelly
- Chop chocolate chips if adding a chocolate kick, and stir them into the mixture.
- Spoon mixture into popsicle molds, or onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Add popsicle sticks, toothpicks, or paper straws.
- Freeze until solid, and enjoy!
Tip: This can be used with any yogurt and jelly flavour you would like! Peach is one of my favourites on a warm day!
Graham Cracker Ice Cream Sandwiches
The perfect cool, creamy, substitution for plain ice cream on a hot summers day. These are quick to fix and highly addicting.
You will need:
1 Package instant vanilla pudding mix
2 Cups cold whole milk
2 cups whipped topping
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
24 Whole graham crackers, halved
- Mix pudding and milk according to package directions; refrigerate until set. Fold in whipping topping and chocolate chips.
- Place 24 graham cracker halves on baking sheet; top with about three tablespoons of filling. Place another graham cracker half on top. Wrap individually in plastic; freeze until firm, about one hour.
Perfect Pizza Bagels
Make your child's favourite meal with them in 10 minutes! These customizable pizza bagels are perfect and the homemade sauce will keep your kid smiling all day.
You will need:
1/2 Cup tomato sauce
1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon Italian herbs
6 Whole wheat bagels, split in half
3/4 Cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Optional: Add any toppings you or your little one would want. Example: Turkey pepperoni, olives, peppers, pineapple.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix the tomato sauce and herbs in a bowl.
- Place the bagels on a cookie sheet and coat each one with sauce.
- Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool, and serve.
Honey Granola Yogurt Bark
This healthy snack is great to prepare with your kids and surprise them with treats the next day.
You will need (For 4 servings):
3 Cups greek yogurt (855 g)
1/4 cup honey (85 g)
- Mix yogurt and honey in a bowl.
- Pour mixture into a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Add desired amount of toppings.
- Freeze 6 hours, or overnight, until frozen solid.
- Break yogurt bark into desired number of pieces.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Tip: This is a great alternative to store-bought yogurt bars! Let your children decide what different toppings they would like.