As the largest city in Alberta, Canada, Calgary offers plenty for everyone to enjoy. The Calgary Flames serve up a great version of the nation's most important sport, hockey, while the Calgary Stampeders put on one of the best Canadian football shows around. If you're more into simpler old, Western life, the Calgary Stampede rodeo is a great way to spend a few days in Calgary.
Calgary is also known for its beautiful nature and historical sites. The Heritage Park Historical Village is a little slice of history, featuring many 20th century attractions, from a smithy, bakery and shops to a Hudson's Bay Company trading post inspired by the long-time fur trading company.
The entertainment in Calgary isn't just for the adults, though; there are also plenty of fun activities for children to enjoy. Whether you want to give your kids the enchanting experience of visiting a zoo or the quaint enjoyment of the Calgary Corn Maze and Fun Farm, you'll find lots of things to enjoy with your children in Calgary.
Here is a list of some of the best things to do in Calgary with kids, from old-fashioned entertainment and nature excursions to wonderful museums and centers for history, science and more.
1. Take a trip to Fish Creek Park, one of the largest urban parks in Canada, where you and your children can enjoy a variety of beautiful nature.
2. Dip into something sweet at the Chinook Honey Company, where you can taste products made from honey and learn about bees and the making of honey with your little ones.
3. Sikome Lake is one of many great spots to enjoy some swimming in Calgary, and it's an especially good spot to visit on those warm days when your kids need to cool off.
4. If your kids love animals, there's no better place to be than the Calgary Zoo, a huge zoo featuring all sorts of wildlife that your children can interact with and learn about.
5. Taking a trip to Calgary during the summer months? Each July, the Calgary Folk Music Festival serves up a wide variety of relaxing music that hearkens back to the early 19th century that the whole family can enjoy.
6. Butterfield Acres Calgary is a fun farm experience where your kids can enjoy tractor rides, goat milking and more.
7. Do you have a child who loves sports? If so, you absolutely must take them to see Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
8. If you're looking for something a bit more outdoorsy, have a float down the Elbow River on a nice inflatable raft.
9. Each fall, the Chinatown Street Festival in Calgary gives children a way to experience culture while enjoying Calgary's Chinatown.
10. For a taste of another culture, check out Calgary's AFRIKADEY! African Festival, a yearly festival celebrating African culture.
11-14. Calgary's cultural festivals don't stop at Chinatown Street Festival and AFRIKADEY! You can also learn about other cultures at the Calgary Turkish Festival, the Calgary Japanese Festival, the Marda Gras Street Festival, and even the Kensington Sun and Salsa Festival.
15. Kayben's Sunshine Adventure Park is a great way to enjoy some sunshine with your kids while picking pumpkins or black currants, seeing farm animals, and riding the slides.
16. If you have a horse-lover in the family, Horsin Around is a great place to spend some time with horses with pony rides, a petting zoo and more.
17-19. For the more adventurous family, Bragg Creek Paintball, Rampage Paintball, and Capture the Flag all offer unique twists on the classic sport of paintball. Keep in mind that things can get a little intense when you're playing paintball!
20-22. Another fun and extreme way to spend some quality time with your family in Calgary is to try one of many climbing walls. Your choices include Crux Climbing and Bouldering, Calgary Climbing Centre, and Southland Leisure Centre.
23. Sometimes it's nice to go somewhere that offers something for everyone. If this is what you're looking for, you need to check out Shakers Fun Centre for laser tag, mini golf and more.
26. Joso's Play and Learn Centre offers a nice mix of fun activities that keep children entertained and learning, although it's designed for younger children.
27. The Botanical Gardens of Silver Springs don't cost a thing and are a great way for your kids to experience a variety of lesser-known plants and vegetation.
28-32. If your kids are into museums, Calgary has a wide range of great options. The Hangar Flight Museum has a variety of aircraft, while Heritage Park Historical Village gives you and your children a look into an early Canadian village. There's also a naval museum, military museums, and a railway museum.
33. For a relaxing walk with plenty of great scenery, check out Prince's Island Park and River Walk. You can even learn about the wildlife through the provided informational boards.
34. Grab a bite to eat while supporting local merchants in Calgary at one of the many farmers markets you can find in the area.
35. If you're visiting Calgary during the winter, you can always take advantage of one of Calgary's many great winter activities, including skiing, ice fishing, hiking, and skating.
36-37. For those of us who are lucky to have an eclectic little artist in our family, Calgary offers a few different solid art galleries. Contemporary Calgary focuses on modern art while Nickle Galleries displays an array of art sponsored by the University of Calgary.
38. TELUS Spark is a great way to engage the mind of your young scientist. They can learn about planets, physics, sound and more at the Brainasium playground which is located outdoors.
39. The Lougheed House, built in 1891, is a neat way to let your kids experience 19th-century life for a reasonable price, plus there's a restaurant.
40. Visit one of the many free spray parks in Calgary, a fun way to explore the different neighbourhoods and cool down on a hot summers day. Most are open daily from late May to mid September, whether permitting.
And there you have it—a list of things to do in Calgary with kids that's long enough to satisfy every family.
Whether you take a trip to an art gallery, spend a day cooling off outdoors, or enjoy a little slice of history, we hope you and your kids enjoy experiencing what Calgary has to offer.
Looking for more awesome activities & events? Feel free to check out ChatterBlock's Community Events Page.
Read more about the author