1. Travel back in time at Fort Edmonton Park!
You can ride on the old steam train, watch live shows, and check out the vintage midway. The park is open with regular hours in the spring and summer but has special events throughout the seasons such as Spooktober and Winter Wagon Rides. Fort Edmonton Park, Fox Dr. and Whitemud Dr., Edmonton, AB
2. Take a trip to the Edmonton Valley Zoo where you can see over 350 animals!
With a strong focus on conservation, the zoo has several exhibits and interactive programs that are fun and educational for kids. Don't forget to see the Zoo's Asian elephant named Lucy and make sure to visit the Polar Extremes exhibit where kids can enjoy seals, arctic foxes and sea lions! Edmonton Valley Zoo, 13315 Buena Vista Road, Edmonton, AB
3. If your kids love dinosaurs, you need to go to the Jurassic Forest!
This 40 acre park has 20 species of life-size realistic dinosaurs including Albertosaurus, Stegosaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex! There are guided safaris and you can even go on a dig! Jurassic Forest, 2-23210, Township Rd. 564, Gibbons, AB
4. Visit the Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre and learn about the history of oil in Alberta.
The Leduc #1 Energy Discovery Centre, 50339 HWY 60, South Leduc County, AB
5. For families with older kids, you can take a segway tour along the trails of the river valley and enjoy the banks of the North Saskatchewan River.
Segway of Edmonton, 8882-170, # 1405 West Edmonton Mall, Edmonton, AB
6. Hang out at one of the many festivals at Churchill Square in downtown Edmonton.
Some of our favourite annual events that take place here include:
- A Taste of Edmonton
- The Cariwest Caribbean Arts Festival
- Edmonton International Street Performers Festival
In the summer, kids can splash around in City Hall's wading pool or they can skate on the pool in winter. Churchill Square, access from 100 St. and 102 Ave, Edmonton, AB
7. Head out to the K-Days festival in July!
Kids will love the parade with floats and balloons, live entertainment and rides on the midway! K-Days, Northlands Grounds, 116 Ave. and 73 St, Edmonton, AB
8. For some down on the farm fun, check out the Prairie Gardens & Adventure Farm where kids can wander through three corn mazes and pick their own vegetables!
Prairie Gardens & Adventure Farms, 56311 Lily Lake Rd., Bon Accord, AB
9. Enjoy a walk through Old Strathcona, an artsy neighborhood with cool shops, historical buildings and the Old Strathcona Farmers' Market.
You can snack on the kettle corn at the market then enjoy lunch at one of the many restaurants in the neighborhood.
10. Venture to a living museum and learn about Ukrainian immigrants to Alberta at the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village.
Kids will enjoy the costumed performers and old buildings on the grounds. The park is 25 minutes east of Edmonton along Highway 16, just 3 km east of Elk Island National Park.
11. Learn about nature in the City at the John Janzen Nature Centre.
Within the Centre there is the Tegler Discovery Zone, an indoor habitat based play area with climbing and crawling structures for kids up to 10 years old. There are also interpretative play areas that are sure to please the little ones. The John Janzen Nature Centre, 7000 143 St., Edmonton, AB
12. If your family loves nature, you will have fun at the Devonian Botanic Garden which includes succulents, tropical butterflies and orchids.
A short trip from downtown Edmonton, it's worth the drive! Devonian Botanic Garden, Hwy 60, 5 km north of Devon, Alberta
13. Woodlands Water Play Park and Playground is an excellent choice for a summer day.
With a large splash pad, beach volley ball court and playground, your family is sure to have a great time! Woodlands Water Play Park, 65 Sturgeon Road, St. Albert
14. For younger children, visit the Kinsmen Grizzly Bear Lodge Park.
There is a Grizzly bear climber, caves and climbing rope features, and cool slides. There are four park areas to explore and you can enjoy the breathtaking view of the city!
15. The Castle Downs Playground is the largest playground in Edmonton with fun for the whole family.
There are two nautical themed climbers, rock climbers, swings, and an area for sand play. In addition, there is a spray park to cool off in the summer, a skate park, a baseball field, an outdoor rink, picnic sites and a park pavilion. Castle Downs Playground, 11510 153 Avenue Edmonton, AB
16. Visit the West Edmonton Mall.
This mall is the biggest mall in North America and includes a tropical world water park, a massive skating rink, a Galaxyland amusement park, and Ropes Quest! Spanning over 48 city blocks with over 800 stores and 100 eateries, there is sure to be something fun for your little ones! West Edmonton Mall, 8882-170 Street, Edmonton, AB
17. Enjoy a stroll through the Muttart Conservatory.
The year-around displays in the pyramid structures house the one of Canada's largest botanical collections! Muttart Conservatory, 9626 - 96A Street, Edmonton, AB
18. Relax while your kids play away at one of these 8 best indoor playgrounds.
Photo below is Cafe O'Play, a traditional coffeehouse with an indoor playground specifically designed for children up to 6 years old. Indoor playgrounds are the perfect way to spend time escaping the cold, or escaping the heat... Depending on the season!
19. Enjoy the exhibits at the Alberta Aviation Museum.
There are over 30 historical aircraft for kids who love planes! Alberta Aviation Museum, 11410 Kingsway Ave., Edmonton, AB
20. Visit the Royal Alberta Museum and the kids can learn about everything from aboriginal culture to bugs!
There are several kids programs including a Discovery Room with puppets and puzzles! Royal Alberta Museum, 12845-102 Ave., Edmonton, AB
21. Check out the cool interactive displays at the Telus World of Science.
You can enjoy the planetarium, an astronomical observatory and an IMAX theater there. Younger kids under 8 years will appreciate the Discoveryland Gallery with several creative play areas. Telus World of Science, 11211-142 St., Edmonton, AB
Read more about the author