The back to school season is upon us. By now (hopefully) your children have their school supplies bought, class schedule complete, and alarms set. Breaking the summer vacation routine is never easy, but we are here to help! Below are 8 extra special ways of going back to school in style.
1. Back-to-school pictures. In the age of smartphones and digital cameras there really is nothing easier than taking a picture. These pictures may not mean much now, but if you repeat this tradition every year, by the time your children are done school you will have a timeline of photo memories showing how your children have grown and matured.
2. Make a special breakfast. We know you’ve heard time and time again that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why not make it a little more special on the first day of school? Does your kid love waffles? Breakfast quesadillas? Or maybe just cut up fruit and toast? Whatever the case is, a little extra effort can go a long way, and bring a smile to their faces even if they are still half asleep.
3. Buy a new outfit. Sadly the cost of going back to school can add up for many parents. Once you factor in buying new school supplies the bills add up. However, if you have some extra cash to spare buying your child, or letting them pick out a new outfit for the first day to school will make them feel like a million bucks! As a kid this was a tradition that I looked forward to every year. Although, the outfits I picked were questionable at best, I always started the school year with a great attitude.
4. Hide a note in their lunch box. Packing a lunch is always a good idea - it’s healthier and cost effective. While you are packing up their PB & J sandwiches why not add in a little cute note wishing them a good day. You don’t have to write anything sappy, but just saying hi and that you love them should bring a smile to their face.
5. Buy a Balloon. How fun would it be for your kid to wake up with a balloon tied to their bedroom door or spot at the kitchen table. Balloons cost next to nothing and are totally a novelty that we stand behind. Fun, frugal, and festive. What’s not to love!
6. Pick them up from school. This idea depends on how your children normally get to and from school. However, if you are able to leave work a few minutes early we suggest making a special effort to go pick up your children in person. This way you can take the long way home and catch up on all the fun they had on their big first day.
7. Make back-to-school bracelets. Remember “friendship bracelets”? Well, back-to-school bracelets basically is the same concept, except between a Mother/Father and their child. A few days before school starts, have a family craft day and make bracelets for one another. This way even if your kids get homesick or lonely on their first day, they will always have you with them.
8. Enjoy it. Kids grow up fast. One day they are in Kindergarten and the next they are graduating from high school. Don’t forget to take a second to step back and enjoy it! Look what you have accomplished! Look what they have accomplished!
Above all else, just remember to give your kiddos and hug and kiss goodbye! As small of a gesture as this is, it is probably what they will remember most from the day. :)
Read more about the author