Explore the State Capitol building, visit various museums to discover local history, experience some wildlife tours and feel the nature by hiking or trekking. To help you create some unforgettable lifetime memories in this family-friendly city, we have compiled 101 things to do with your kids in Austin.
1. Take the free Texas State Capitol tour. The tours take visitors to key areas of the Capitol and offer information on the building, Texas history, and the legislature.
2. Visit Austin Zoo. This zoo is a pleasant Hill Country zoo and have over 300 animals including bear, wolf, tigers, lions, turtles, monkeys etc.
3. Visit Dinosaur Park. Its an unusual outdoor museum and unlike other museums which have dinosaur skeletons, it has dinosaurs with skin & various colors similar to how they would have looked when they were alive.
4. Visit Thinkery Austin Children’s Museum. Its an awesome place for kids to play while learning about various scientific facts. The museum have multiple camps & programs scheduled throughout the year for kids & families.
5. Visit Texas Memorial Museum.
7. Enjoy an immersive interactive experience at The Austin Aquarium. Fun children activities include feeding and touching crocodiles, holding slithering snakes, or even taking a selfie with their exotic large breed birds.
8. Take a tour to Inner Space Cavern. There is also a playground, a mining area, a gift shop, and several displays of fossils that were found right here in the cave.
9. Enjoy swimming in Barton Springs Pool. The pool is a popular venue for year-round swimming.
10. Experience ever-changing exhibitions, innovative films, unique programs and events at Bullock Museum.
11. Have a family fun packed gaming day at Pinballz Arcade.
12. Have fun watching world's largest urban bat colony of approx 1.5 million bats, emerge from under the Congress Avenue Bridge in downtown Austin.
13. Plan a family fun day at iPlay Austin, indoor playland.
14. Have a thrilling flying experience at Austin iFly- indoor skydiving.
17. Take a weekend trip on Austin Steam Train.
18. Attend free public star parties on the top roof of Robert Lee Moore Hall. the astronomy department hosts the event every Wednesday night while UT is in session
19. Spend a pay playing with toys- vintage, restro or classic or console video games at Austin Toy Museum.
20. Enjoy some slot car racing at Races2u.
21. Play a few rounds of chess with your little genius on the Austin Giant Chess, at Wooldrige Park.
22. Plan a day at The Millennium Youth Entertainment Complex which has no. of activities like skating, bowling, theater, arcade, food Court & some special events for everyone to enjoy.
23. Visit HOPE Outdoor Gallery which is recognized as one of the Top 10 Artistic destinations in Texas.
24. Go to Hope farmer's market on a Sunday. Help your kids to pick fresh vegetables and attend one of their family-friendly events.
25. Buy some yummy fresh jams, Larry’s bean dip & Larry's Pickles at boggy creek farm.
26. Visit some all time favourite playgrounds like Springwoods, Park Perry Playground etc.
27. Participate in a family day event at UMLAUF Sculpture Garden and Museum on second Sunday of every month. Enjoy activities like sculpture safaris, children's art activities, family tours, yoga in the garden, story time, music and dance performances.
28. Explore Austin Nature & Science Center, for hands-on nature exhibits, educational programs and recreational activities
30. Interested in something weird? Visit Cathedral of Junk, the beautiful mess in Austin.
31. Do some ice skating at Chaparral Ice Center. They offer some public skating time everyday.
32. Play a few rounds of laser tag, Blazer Tag Adventure Centre features a great arena.
33. Spend a fun day bowling at Dart Bowl Austin.
34. A friends & family paintball game is always a good idea, Austin Paintball is one of our favourites.
35. Visit Dougherty Arts Center (DAC) and experience a variety of visual, performing and digital arts experiences.
36. Fostering an animal for just a weekend, a few weeks or even several months might be a good idea for the kids. You can do that at Austin Animal Centre.
37. Your little girl(s) can participate in Girl Scout troop of Metz Recreation Centre. They have weekly meetings and activities, monthly field trips & community services to earn their patches & badges.
38. Join few of the free programs like karate, art & yoga at Dove Springs Recreational Centre.
39. Buy some classic, fun, and beautiful toys at Terra Toys store.
40. Watch a baseball game and teach them all about baseball.
41. Watch Buskers at Congress Avenue or Red River Street.
42. Go fruit picking at Marburger Orchard.
43. Go for a family drive & visit Waco Mammoth National Monument.
44. Take an hour drive to Landa Park. The park offers a miniature train, golf, picnic spots & swimming pools.
45. Have a barbecue day with kids. You can invite over their friends.
46. Visit some kids family restaurants with playgrounds like Central Market or Salt Lick.
48. Plan a family movie night.
49. Inspire kids to participate in some volunteering activities.
50. Try some kids friendly recipes & cook a meal with kids.
51. Enjoy some indoor fun activities like glow in the dark play dough or sand foam.
52. Take the Austin Ghost tour.
53. Play frisbee in the park.
54. Attend / Participate in Maker Faire. It’s a venue for makers of all age, to show examples of their work and interact with others about it.
55. Visit Zilker Park, take a ride on Zilker Zephyr- miniature train of Zilker Park. This miniature train gives children and adults a tour of the park, including a great view of Barton Creek and Lady Bird Lake.
57. Take a kayak tour or enjoy canoeing at Lady Bird Lake.
58. Swim with a Bottlenose Dolphin, Beluga Whale, Sea Lion or interact with a Penguin at SeaWorld.
59. Go down tubing at Comal River or Guadalupe river.
60. Take a trip to Pioneer Farms and enjoy their cool summer field trips, archery classes, concerts & much more.
61. Get your safari hat and spend an adventurous day between wild and exotic animals at Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch.
62. Take Austin Duck Adventures tour- amphibious tour of downtown Austin. The sightseeing includes Historic Sixth Street, the State Capitol Building, Bob Bullock State History Museum, the Governor’s Mansion, and Lake Austin.
63. Visit Mayfield Park and Preserve. Enjoy the view of historic cottage, 2 acres of colorful cottage gardens with towering palm trees, brilliant peacocks and delicate water lilies.
64. Enjoy the lush grounds of Laguna Gloria, open for the public to enjoy. Also attend some hands-on art-making workshops and other fun events for families hosted by The Contemporary Austin.
65. If interested in some physical activities, climb the 100 stairs to the top of Mt. Bonnell. and enjoy the spectacular panoramic view of Austin city.
66. Enjoy some watersports picnicking, swimming, windsurfing, sailing, and scuba diving at Bob Wentz Park.
67. If your kids love adventures, take Lake Travis Zipline Adventures.
68. Pick a few adventures like offroading, shooting & camping at Hiddenfalls Adventure Park.
69. Take a guided garden tour to Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, and learn about the plants, history and architecture of the Center.
70. Enjoy waterfront camping at Emma Long Metropolitan Park.
72. Have a water balloon or water gun fight. Invite neighbours to join in.
73. Take out your kids for cycling at the Southern Walnut Creek Trail.
74. Watch sunset at Pennybacker Bridge or Mount Bonnell.
75. Visit McKinney Falls State Park and spend your day swimming, fishing, biking or hiking.
77. Plan a day with at Aloma Park. The park features barbecue Pits , basketball Courts, multipurpose Fields, Picnic Shelters , Picnic Table & Playgrounds.
79. Watch some fun & family friendly outdoor movies.
80. Attend Austin Ice Cream Festival, enjoy the cold treats & have fun with your entire family. Date for the event this year is 12th Aug 2017.
81. Watch screening of animated movies at Austin Film Festival
82. Attend Zilker Park Kite Festival. This festival features hundreds of kites in the air and is free to attend for people of all ages, complete with kite flying contests, food, games and more.
83. Have fun with kids at Old Settler's Music Festival.
84. Attend family fair at Rodeo Austin, which offers Austin's largest carnival, shopping, food, a variety of shows and special attractions.
85. Enjoy some Deep Eddy Splash party movie nights at at Deep Eddy Pool.
86. Attend Cherrywood Art fair to celebrate creativity, develop personal expression, and strengthen social skills.
87. Celebrate Independence day in Buda City Park. Watch or be a part of the morning children’s parade filled with decorative bicycles, wagons, and unique kid’s floats as it takes route on Main Street.
88. Watch Independence day fireworks at Zilker Park, Pioneer Farms or Old Settlers Park.
89. Celebrate Easter & participate in Pinballz Arcade Easter Egg Hunt at Pinballz Lake Creek.
90. Attend halloween events at Palm Park or The Bullock Museum.
91. Carve pumpkins with the kiddos.
92. Have a great time at Armadillo Christmas Bazaar, Austin’s longest running art and music festivals. The event is held at Palmer Events Centre and the event dates for year 2017 are from 14th to 24th of December.
93. Don't miss to attend the Austin Trail of light celebration, our deeply cherished local tradition.
94. Have fun & buy holiday gifts at Blue Genie Art Bazaar. It opens Annually on Black Friday through Christmas Eve. 24th Nov to 24th December for year 2017.
95. Get in the Holiday spirit at the and join the Christmas Parade. Chuy’s Children Giving to Children Parade is a great event to participate.
96. Build a snow fort.
97. Get photos of the kids (real babies and fur babies) sitting on Santa's lap.
98. Do a driving tour in your pjs and find all the best Christmas lights in town.
99. Make a snowman together. Don't forget the carrot nose.
100. Put out milk and cookies for Santa Claus.
101. Swim, splash & shiver at the annual Polar Bear Splash at Barton Springs Pool.
Have more ideas about fun to do activities with kids, please share in the comments section below.