Moving homes is stressful, time-consuming, and a lot of hard work. To make matters worse, the older we get, the less likely our friends are willing to break their backs in exchange for beer and pizza! After using professional moving companies for our last few international moves, I have realized a few things:
- Not having to pack and unpack your own move should be up there with the world’s greatest pleasures.
- Finding a moving company that fits your budget but also has good consumer reviews may require a PhD and/or the patience of a Siberian Tiger stalking his prey.
Thankfully, technology has come to the rescue in the form of Unpakt.com, the first ever online marketplace for reputable moving companies. In just a few clicks, Unpakt helps you compare exact prices and user reviews and book online instantly. Less phone calls and more accurate user reviews? I’m sold!
If you’re gearing up for a future move, the experts at Unpakt have given us some great tips on making moving home with kids less stressful and easier on your budget, too. Just use ChatterBlock’s exclusive discount code (at the end of this post) and get 5% cash-back on your next move! You’re welcome.
10 Tips to Make Moving House with Kids Easier
- Contact the new school prior to moving – Make sure all paperwork for your child has been completed and given to the new school before you pack up your current home. Consider asking for a tour of the school with the child’s new teacher to help your child get acclimated.
- Change your mailing address with USPS – Have your mail redirected so that nothing gets left behind.
- Find local events – If you’re moving to a ChatterBlock city, subscribe to the weekly events newsletter to find recreational activities for children as well as family events. If ChatterBlock isn’t in your destination city just yet, subscribe to the local newspaper to find out what’s happening around town. Picking out some fun things to do will help build anticipation for your new home and allow your kids to meet new friends.
- Book your move early – Hiring a moving company will make your move faster and less stressful!
- Don’t pack important papers and documents in random boxes – Keep documents such as birth certificates, closing papers, credit card information, etc. on hand so you can easily access them at all times, particularly if any documents must be provided to your child’s school district for enrollment.
- Pack up your child’s favorite belongings in one box – Keep this box with you for your child to open as soon as you move in. This will help to create a familiar place for them once in the new home.
- Take your children to their favorite places in town – Before you move, make one last trip to your child’s favorite places, whether it be a restaurant, the park, or their favorite toy store. Talk about the things they will miss to help them process what’s happening.
- Find a do-it-yourself kid’s art studio – Take your child to paint a piece of ceramic or a blank canvas to hang in their new bedroom to create a sense of excitement for the move.
- Pick up some fun stickers and let the kids label their boxes – Involving your children in fun ways will help them associate moving as something fun. When the boxes head to the new house, they can get excited about finding the ones that belong to them.
- Unpack your child’s room first – Moving is exhausting for everyone (unless you hired movers, that is!), but organizing your child’s belongings first will help to keep them calm while you unpack the remainder of the house.
I don’t know anyone who actually enjoys the process of moving but ChatterBlock hopes to make it a little less stressful with this exclusive offer from Unpakt.com!
Receive 5% instant cash back on your next move!
Enter promo code: CBLOCK on Unpakt.com when booking and save.
Must book by 7/31/13.