Weekend Activity: Build Your Own Epic Blanket Fort

Written by

Published Jan 8, 2016

Are your kids going stir crazy now that the excitement of the holidays are behind them? We have the perfect weekend idea for you that is fun, creative, and will keep them entertained for days (or as long as you're willing to let the mess stay)... An epic blanket fort!

Tagged in Things To Do

Now that the holidays are over but the weather is still bleak, there's no better time to bring some excitement to your home by taking some time with the kids to help build your own epic blanket fort.

Everything is better in a fort.

They have the magical way of making everything you do cool and fun. Normally I didn't like reading as a kid, but reading in a fort? Yes please! And with a smile plastered across my face.

Step 1 - Get Some Inspiration

Make it a safe haven for reading or other quiet activities for your kidlets.

Credit: Flickr- benhusmann

Build it around your TV, make some popcorn, put on your PJ's, and have a family movie night in the fort.

Credit: Reddit- Johne1981

Go teepee style!

Credit: thehandmadehome.net

Credit: Build LLC

Not all parents or children are meant to be architects... Don't worry if you have to go simple :^)

Credit: The Carboard Collective

Step 2 - Choosing Your Spot

You'll need a nice open space. Try to imagine what obstacles in the room could in fact be used for the structure (eg. tables, chairs, couches, bookcases). It can be tons of fun to build forts around the craft area, couch, tv, bed, or their favourite nook. That way they get more use out of the fort.

Step 3 - Gather The Supplies

Get creative depending on what things you have lying around the house, but here's some good starting points:

• Sheets or other light blankets
  • Pillows, couch cushions (the more the merrier)
  • Rope, string, or bungee cords
  • Clothes pins, clamps, or ties
  • Flashlight for inside

Step 3 - Build Away!

Step 4 - Add Some Personal Touches for Maximum Enjoyment!

Let the kids get creative here. Whether they want to design the inside of their fort, make paper cut outs to hang, or if it just means filling the fort with fun things to do like colouring books, their favourite books to read, Lego, video game, etc.

Have fun!

Looking for more family fun?

For a list of upcoming events you and your family can check out, head to our Popular Events page.

Written by Joelle Blaikie

Trying to make lives easier one parent at a time.

Joelle is the Product Manager at ChatterBlock and is eager to share interesting stories, upcoming events, and fun ideas to do with your kids & family. Passionate about her community, avid traveler, and proud auntie.

Want to get in touch? I'd love to hear from you. Email me at joelle.blaikie@chatterblock.com

Comments

GeanieMarie
Chats: 4
Votes: 1

This certainly takes me back. I can remember building blanket forts with my brother when we were little. What fun we had. My own kids had a teepee that they loved, and also loved to drape blankets over the trampoline to make a fun hiding place. Some things never change. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Posted by GeanieMarie on Jan 9, 8:20 p.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Elizabeth Griffin
Chats: 5
Votes: 0

Though she is soon to be 12, our daughter LOVES making tents! And she was amazed the 1s time I made one, years ago, because I made a big one! And though probably not too highly recommended, I use sheets and tacks (use the same spot for the really big ones) and we all camp out under it on the air mattresses. She loves it, and it's fun getting to be able to still do this with her. Time will come far too quickly before they get their "own lives'".....enjoy this time while you can. :)

Posted by Elizabeth G on Jan 10, 4:22 a.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Nicky Smith
Chats: 2
Votes: 0

Wow a fun idea!! I can see my daughter doing this for reading because she's always curling up in a weird spot to read. I might just have to figure something out in her bedroom for her. She's going to love this!!

Posted by Nicky S on Jan 11, 9:38 a.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Amber Beth
Chats: 1
Votes: 0

I loved making forts when I was younger and now my kids do it too! I love the movie night idea, so I think we are going to try they this this weekend!! Thanks for the great tips!

Posted by Amber B on Jan 11, 12:30 p.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Chats: 12
Votes: 3

This article is really good. Yesterday I've offered my kids to make our own epic blanket fort and they were so thrilled! We made very beautiful fort from colorful blankets and we spend very cozy evening there :)) My kids were very happy, I believe we will repeat this game soon. :))

Posted by Lily J on Jan 14, 7:29 a.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Kendall O
Chats: 6
Votes: 0

Oh, these forts are too cool! My best ideas involve cushions and sheets, so I will certainly be taking these for the next fort. I saw a really cool one once where the parents had used a big square fan to fill the space up with air if that gives anyone some more ideas :)

Posted by Kendall O on Jan 14, 2:39 p.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Chats: 6
Votes: 0

Such great ideas! I used to love making and playing in forts when I was a kid. Such a great way to help with kids imagination, and creative, and as a bonus, it's cheap and can be done pretty much anywhere. I love the teepee fort - I can't believe I never thought of this when I was a kid. I used to make forts out of the sofa and cushions a lot, sometimes tables, sometimes boxes, pretty much whatever we had lying around. Thanks for sharing and for sending down memory lane :)

Posted by user_11389 on Jan 15, 6:50 a.m. | Like | Flag as abuse

Mindy McCready
Chats: 10
Votes: 0

I love blanket forts! They are also really helpful to battle sadness or moodswings. For me they always cheer me up even though I'm an adult already. It can also be great to enjoy a nice evening with friends and family, especially to enjoy a hot chocolate and watch movies together while it's still cold.

Posted by Mindy M on Jan 23, 5:26 p.m. | Like | Flag as abuse