When most people think of winter the word "romance" doesn't come to mind. The barren branches, freezing temperatures, and cloying darkness offer a less amorous setting than spring blooms or long summer sunsets certainly.
Yet I've always associated winter with love. It might have something to do with the fact that I met my sweetheart on a cold, windy, rainy night one December. Our relationship grew during the winter months, and every year as the leaves fall from the trees and the sky gets ever grayer, I feel a fondness as I'm reminded of those early days of falling in love.
While it might be more of a challenge to plan winter dates, they can be the most unique, memorable, and romantic.
Below is a list of some fun winter date ideas.
1. Ice Skating: You'll have a riot flirtatiously chasing each other around the rink and hey, even if you aren't very good, it will give him a chance to be all chivalrous and catch you ;) Many cities have outdoor rinks complete with Christmas lights to create a cozy and whimsical setting. After you're done snuggle up together over a delicious warm mug of cocoa!
2. Snow Shoeing: What can be more romantic than a walk through a Winter Wonderland together? You can find snowshoe rentals in most cities, and they are generally pretty cheap (about $10-15 dollars for the day). Snowshoeing is easy to learn, a ton of fun, and great exercise. Make sure to fit in a snowball fight!
3. A Winter Photo Shoot: The bareness of winter has its own beauty. The linear shapes of branches, the complex patterns of ice, the contrast of red berries against a snowy backdrop--all provide a stunning backdrop for photos of you and your love. Pack a warm lunch with a thermos full of hot chocolate (with maybe a wee bit of Baileys), grab your camera, and get creative together!
4. Storm Watching: Here on the West Coast we don't get much snow. But we do have glorious winter storms! My husband and I like to drive to the ocean and watch them. Sometimes we will even venture outside and run together beside the crashing waves!
5. Visiting a Heated Outdoor Pool and Hot Tub: During our first month together my husband I stayed at the Fairmont in Whistler. It was a fabulous trip, but my favorite memory was swimming together in the outdoor pool as snowflakes fell around us. No one else had ventured out that day, and it felt like we were the only two people in the world.
6. Taking a Cooking Class Together: It's always good to learn new things as a couple, and how nice would it be for HIM to gain some cooking skills in time for holiday entertaining?
7. Going to a Hockey Game: Ok...this might seem like your idea of torture but I guarantee he will love you all the more for suggesting this. And even if you don't like sports (I don't), everyone can get into the excitement of a live game!
8. Going window shopping--comic stores, antique shops, and novelty stores highly recommended: The quirky items you find will give you a lot to talk and laugh about, and you might even end up purchasing a conversation piece for your home!
9. Checking out Christmas lights: Get a cup of warm apple cider and enjoy the festive display together. Public gardens often have the most impressive lights, and many of them are free! This is a great adjunct to a cozy dinner out.
10. Enroll in a weekly dance class together: Even if you find it awkward at first, you'll be guaranteed to share a few laughs-- and what a great opportunity to hold each other close! Sometimes it's important to get out of your comfort zone and try new things as a couple. Salsa, Swing, and Contra Dance are my personal faves!